Skip to main content

tv   Larry King Live  CNN  March 8, 2010 9:00pm-10:00pm EST

9:00 pm
the tournament staff and security and players all worked together to make sure that we could finish the event and not let it ruin our whole trip here. my hats off to the organizers of the event and the security. >> to you, as well. kevin. you won a million bucks. thanks for joining us and telling the story. appreciate your time. that's it for us. we have to go. "larry king live" is starting right now. have a good one. >> larry: tonight jesse ventura is here locked and loaded firing with both barrels at president obama and the tea party crowd and sarah palin. wants to know how anybody could vote for her. why he thinks the war on drugs is a government conspiracy and how we're helping terrorists. that's for starters.
9:01 pm
hey, get your questions ready. the oscar winner that got off by a producer that hijacked the mike. he's here and he'll give the sense speechl he couldn't do last night next on "larry king live." it is always great to welcome jesse ventura to "larry king live," the former governor of minnesota and the host of "conspiracy theory." the new book "american conspiracies: lies, lies, and more dirty lies that the government tells us." there's the cover. we will get to the book in a couple of moments. last night's oscars, any thoughts on "the hurt locker" winning? it dealt with bomb technicians in iraq. i know you were involved with explosions and weaponry.
9:02 pm
what did you make of a small budget movie winning it? >> it's outstanding. it shows the growth of a smaller, independent film at certain time hes will get the recognition it deserves. it's sometimes nice to see these films that really deliver a message, larry, and that they would give to that achievement and not simpleary judge a film by how many money it makes. >> larry: "the hurt locker" opens with a quote from chris hedges. here's the quote. i want your comment. the rush of battle is often a potent and legal addiction because war is a drug. do you agree with that? >> yes, it can be. i know a few people, in fact, a good friend of mine that taught me in s.e.a.l.s had like five tours to vietnam, and i ran into him later at a reunion. i asked him if he did 30 years in the navy, and he said to me very quietly, he said no i got
9:03 pm
out after 20. really? why wouldn't you do 30? he looked at me right in my soul, and he said i wasn't a good peacetime sailor. when the vietnam war ended, that ended for him. he was done in the navy because he couldn't go to battle anymore. >> larry: tell me what you think of guys who do this, who put on these insane uniforms -- we had one here a couple weeks ago -- and walk up to someone who may be blown up in a minute carrying explosives. why do they do that? >> why would they commit suicide like that? >> larry: no. why would they go to diffuse the bomb? why would you want to take that job? >> well, someone has to do it. lots of times it's the old dirty job, but somebody's got to do it. you know, in the condition that, you know, war is, all jobs are really pretty dirty when you are fighting a war. there's nothing glamorous about war at all, larry. it's a matter of survival.
9:04 pm
>> larry: president obama wants all u.s. troops -- he want the level in iraq down to 50,000 combat troops by labor day, and then all troops out by the end of next year. think it will happen? >> no, i don't think it will happen. i wish it would happen with my whole heart to bring those kids home, but i got a feeling that there's going to be more to iraq than what they think. it may be smooth sailing momentarily right now, but i got a feeling when the election votes are counted and they end up with their split government that there won't be enough of a majority to really show one person as the leader of iraq. so i think you still have -- they've been warring for thousands of years. you're not going to end that in one or two elections. >> larry: we don't have to stay, do we? >> i hope not. we shouldn't have gone in the first place, in my opinion. >> larry: what about afghanistan? how long do you think we're going to be there?
9:05 pm
>> a very long time. i just read a book that really disturbed me. it was a book written by dalton furey and he was the lead delta force commander at tora bora. they released there was an escape route along the mountains to pakistan, and they wanted to send an elite delta force on the other side of the mountains to stop bin laden and them from escaping that way. it went right into the white house, and george bush and dick cheney vetoed the idea. that disturbed me. number one, did they want this guy to escape so they left him an out? number two, what are these two bozos doing making a combat decision to an elite delta force member or delta force commander when you got dick cheney who got five deferments from vietnam and you got george bush who couldn't make it to one year's national guard meetings? these guys are making a command
9:06 pm
combat decision to the elite delta force, and then all you heard from them was, we let our generals call the shots. well, it clearly wasn't that case in the book i read by dalton furey, who was the commander of the u.s. forces chasing osama bin laden in tora bora right after 9/11. >> larry: did you agree with us going to afghanistan? >> initially i did, because i felt that, you know, they were the people, al qaeda was the people who attacked us, and that was we needed to go get these people if they're going to continue it attack us, absolutely. i did not agree at all with iraq. they told us there were these 19 hijackers larry, not one of them was an iraqi. that would be the equivalent in my opinion of when the japanese attacked us at pearl harbor, well we'll go attack korea. after all, they're asian too, aren't they? >> larry: jesse ventura is with us. his book is "american
9:07 pm
conspiracies." he's got incredible thoughts on famous things that happened and what he thinks might have been behind them. we'll let him review them for us when we come back. these braces, i want to point out something tonight. they are presented to me by the wonderful folks at george washington university. i established a scholarship there. we've already extended 20 students that have been able to graduate through the larry king scholarships at george washington. so they had a wonderful lunch. had a great time. spoke to them in the auditorium, and they presented me with their colors by way of braces. i'm honored to wear them, and we're honored to be with the former governor of minnesota. we'll be right back. you know, when i grow up, i'm going to own my own restaurant. i want to be a volunteer firefighter. when i grow up, i want to write a novel.
9:08 pm
i want to go on a road trip. when i grow up, i'm going to go there. i'm going to work with kids. i want to fix up old houses. [ female announcer ] at aarp we believe you're never done growing. i want to fall in love again. [ female announcer ] together we can discover the best of what's next at aarp.org. my doctor said most calcium supplements... aren't absorbed properly unless taken with food. he recommended citracal. it's different -- it's calcium citrate, so it can be absorbed with or without food.
9:09 pm
also available in small, easy-to-swallow petites. citracal. is difficult to attain. a reputation for unsurpassed quality and industry-leading customer service, even more so. which is why it must be earned. every day. every mile. with every driver. we've earned ours by relentlessly asking one simple question... how can we make it even better tomorrow? lexus. the pursuit...of perfection. >> larry: we're back with jesse ventura, the book "american conspiracies." go to facebook.com/larrykinglive
9:10 pm
and ask away. jesse does not duck questions, as you can tell. barack obama is in his second year. how's he doing? >> he started off good, but i've been very disappointed lately, larry, because i feel he should have prosecuted for the torture. he let everybody off the hook on that one. i don't like that. i think that we have to be a country that stands by the rule of law, even when it's inconvenient. if i were president i would be prosecuting right now up the chain of command, whoever ordered this torturing that goes on in guantanamo and all the places because we shouldn't be a country that is known that we torture prisoners and do that type of thing to gain intelligence. you don't ganl from torturing anyway. none of the intelligence is any good. otherwise they'd let police do it. >> larry: so you say torture in and of itself is ineffective? >> totally ineffective, because i've been water boarded, larry,
9:11 pm
so know what it's like. all do you when you torture someone is they admit to anything to end the torture. it has no credibility to it. >> larry: why were you waterboarded? >> when i finished navy s.e.a.l. training prior to going to vietnam, it was required to go to a p.o.w. school. it was at that school that virtually all of us got waterboarded. >> larry: when it comes do approval rating obama is the most polarizing the first term president in gallup history. i thought he was going to bring us together. what happened? >> i think it's the polarization of these two political parties, larry. they're the downfall of our country right now, and our country better start waking up and quit voting for democrats and republicans. >> larry: who else he is there?
9:12 pm
znz washington and jefferson said the fall of america would not come externally but internally when political parties took over the government. it's clear toews that these two political parties put their party ahead of the country because they vote for their party first and the country second. until this country wakes up and quits electing democrat and republicans to office to send that message, well, we're going it get that type of government then. >> larry: what do you think of the american tea party? >> i think they're kind of a laugh, because they're supposed to defend the constitution and all this. well, where were they when habeas corpus was taken away? in our country right now, they can arrest you and hold you without charging you, they can keep an attorney from you? all they have to do is say you committed an act of terrorism. they can get away with that. they've also destroyed the fourth amendment of illegal search and seizure.
9:13 pm
they might as well throw that amendment out because they're listening to our phone calls and tapping e-mail and doing everything they do. where were they when this was going on? i think this is more of a right wing movement to try to make it look like we're concerning socialist or something. when you speak on that behalf, the state of hawaii has had state-run health care for over 40 years and it works fantastic there. in fact, rush limbaugh even got treated there and said how great it was before he found out that it was state-run health care. to follow that up, larry, if government-run health care is so bad, then why do we give it to our veterans and have given to them since world war i? are we screwing the veterans over? it should be good enough for us. >> larry: think we'll get a health care bill soon? >> i don't know. with the polarization of these two parties, i doubt if anything can be accomplished there,
9:14 pm
because like i said, they put their parties in front of the country. by the way, larry, i need to do something right now. i need -- my wife is still down in the baja, she's at a neighbor five miles away watching television. so hi,teri. i love you. be home in two weeks when i'm done battling the media. thank you, larry. >> larry: you don't have to say thanks. i didn't know you were doing it. from our facebook page james wants to know what is our most important issue today as far as you're concerned politically? >> what's the most important issue to me today politically? getting rid of the democrat and republican leadership of this country. it is high time to destroy these two parties if we can, because they're leading us down the road to ruin, both of them. >> larry: it's not going to happen. you know that. >> never say never, larry. stranger things can come to pass. never say never in this country.
9:15 pm
>> larry: by the way, do you think the he president should have focused on jobs before health care? >> i think -- i think that the president has the ability to focus on probably three to four major topics when he's in there. so i think that he can focus on jobs and health care as well as these wars. then i would limit it to about that. health care, jobs, and the war. that's a pretty big plate to have on the table. >> larry: in a little while we'll discuss with jesse some of the things he alleges in "american conspiracies." an extraordinary book. we'll have more to come. the oscar winner whose acceptance speech was interrupted in that bizarre moment last night. he's here for take two. stick around.
9:16 pm
just to make phone calls. but when at&t or verizon offer you an unlimited plan for $69.99, that's all it's good for -- phone calls. with sprint, for the same price, you get unlimited text, unlimited web and unlimited calling to every mobile phone in america. now, that's more like it. [ male announcer ] $69.99 for unlimited text, web and calling to any mobile in america. only from sprint. deaf, hard-of-hearing and people with speech disabilities access www.sprintrelay.com. hi, ellen! hi, ellen! hi, ellen! hi, ellen! we're going on a field trip to china! wow. [ chuckles ] when i was a kid, we -- we would just go to the -- the farm. [ cow moos ] [ laughter ] no, seriously, where are you guys going? ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! ni hao! [ female announcer ] the new classroom. see it. live it. share it. on the human network.
9:17 pm
cisco.
9:18 pm
>> larry: before we get into some of the specific con spears that mr. governor ventura alleges, one other thing of note politically. sarah palin, in addition to being a commentator of fox, she signed a new book contract, another book and she's teamed with the survivor producer to do a reality documentary series about alaska, nature, and her family. what's your read on mrs. palin? >> well, it shows why she quit the governor. she wanted to cash in and make big money. it's that simple, you know. i wouldn't vote for her if she was the only candidate, because she's a quitter.
9:19 pm
she told the people of alaska she wanted to be their governor, and then halfway through the term she decides it's not her cup of tea anymore? well, larry, she'd never make it three navy s.e.a.l. training because if you say "i quit" you're gone. to me she's nothing but a quitter. i would never support her and people that do, i think, are bad for doing it. >> larry: jesse, try to be direct in your answers as we continue here, because this wishy-washy stuff just ain't flying. >> i will, larry. i've been in mexico a long time, so i answer directly. >> larry: many people complain about how bitter partisan politics is, but you see the republicans and democrats are in cahoots against ordinary citizens. in cahoots how? how are they in cahoots? they can't get together on anything. you say they're in cahoots. >> well, they -- they'll get together when they need to.
9:20 pm
what happens with the democrats and republicans, larry, is very much like pro wrestling. in front of the camera and in front of the people, they des pies each other and they're going to beat the hell out of each other, but behind the scenes they're going out to dinner and cutting deals. it's that simple. the question is, can the two sides get together and cut enough of a deal that they can both take back to their political parties and be satisfied with? that's what it really comes down to. the people of america can step aside on that. you know, it will depend whether the republicans will get what they deem is good for the republican party, and the democrats get what they deem is good for the democrats. if they find some common ground, then you'll see something happen, but if they don't, nothing will happen. >> larry: you don't think they're thinking about the people at all, the public? >> they do as a side light, but they think about themselves first and their power struggle between the two. by the way, larry, let me correct you. i don't do this often to you.
9:21 pm
i don't allege anything in this book. this book is all based on documented facts. i he may offer my opinion at the beginning or end, but everything in between is all documented. you can go to the back of the book and see where we got it from. >> larry: i want another opinion on don't ask don't tell. there's a split among the brass, the the chairman of joint chiefs thinks they should throw it out. what do you think? >> i think they should let gays in the military because we're the united states of america, and if a gay person wants to serve his or her country, why should they not be allowed to? if a gay person wants to serve in the military, i would walk up and shake their hand and thank you for serving your country. we're not the het row states of america. we're the united states of america. >> larry: do you think there were gay s.e.a.l.s serving with you? >> if they were they were in the closets because we partied a lot in the philippines, and it
9:22 pm
wasn't be boys. >> larry: a recent cnn opinion research poll, do you think the federal government has become so large and powerful it poses a threat to the rights and freedoms of ordinary people? 56% of americans yes. >> absolutely. >> larry: you say yes to that, too? >> absolutely i say yes to it. the federal government has gotten so large now. new book, "american conspiracies." first, this. as we're finishing up, i mention i'm going to often.
9:23 pm
he checks it out. good thing. turns out... my urinary symptoms -- such as going frequently, trouble going, flow starts and stops... and going often at night -- are due to bph, also called enlarged prostate. he says over time, avodart has been shown to shrink the prostate, improve urinary symptoms, and reduce the risk of prostate surgery. only your health care provider can tell if your symptoms... are from bph and not a more serious condition... like prostate cancer. do not donate blood until 6 months after stopping avodart. tell your doctor if you have liver disease. rarely sexual side effects, swelling or tenderness... of the breasts can occur. avodart is for men only. women should not take or handle avodart... due to risk of a specific birth defect. today's the day to talk to your doctor... about your urinary symptoms and find out... if avodart is right for you.
9:24 pm
9:25 pm
>> larry: all right. here's the book, "american c conspiracie conspiracies" on sale now vrnl. the front of the book includes a quote from einstein who says a foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth. according to jesse this says it all, and the american public needs to wake up. among the conspiracies he writes about, the assassinations of lincoln, jfk, malcolm luther king, he writes about wart gate and stolen election of 2000 and 2004 and 9/11 and wall street. why did you write this? >> at first i didn't want to write this book, larry. when the publishers came to me
9:26 pm
and wanted me to do after the success of my last book, i didn't want to do it because i didn't feel motivated to do it. then i thought it over for about a week. i thought, you know, i've got to do this book, because i want 100 years from now when people look back at this time when we're all gone, i want them to be able to read and understand that not all of us, not everyone believed what the government said or what our, quote, history books talk about. because it's very interesting when you get into all these conspiracies how much documentation there is. people can choose not to believe them, but i will tell you this. this book is a very good read, and it will entertain you because it's not like tom clancy or vince flynn where they're making up stories and making up people and writing off their imagination. these are real people, and you can put names to faces many my
9:27 pm
book. >> larry: are you considered though a conspiracy buff in that you're so conspiracy oriented that you believe nothing, that you question anything? >> no, not at all. i don't necessarily believe every conspiracy that i write about in this book. i just tell the other side of the story and documents back it up to where you still have to say, you know, there's validity to this. it may not be true, but it could be true. if it could be true, it's dangerous. >> larry: okay. you assert in the book that the 2000 and 2004 national elections were stolen. you say that the 2008 election came close to being stolen, too. should people keep voting if that's true, and how do you know it's true? why do you think it's true? >> in the research we did we found out about certain things. these computerized electronic vote machines, we have to get rid of them.
9:28 pm
they can be tapped into. put it to you this way, larry. would you go to an atm machine that didn't offer you a receipt? >> larry: no. you say they can be, but you don't know if they're tapped into, do you? >> wait, wait. read the book. they were tapped into. they were tapped into. why were all the votes suddenly channeled to chattanooga, tennessee to this operative place? read the book, and you'll see that they were tapped into. >> larry: are you saying that bush was not elected in 2000 and 2004? not re-elected? >> no, i was elected, but was he elected fairly? i don't know. >> larry: i know that. you don't know? >> well, let's remember this, too. larry. he lost the popular vote in 2000. al gore beat him by half a million people, but because we got this annoquated electoral college which we should get rid of, bush won. even though five -- >> larry: that'sen a conspiracy
9:29 pm
but that's a law we have. >> that's a law. i'm not saying it's a conspiracy. when you check these voting machines -- let's get back to them -- you have no idea when you push that machine if your vote was actually recorded to the candidate of your choice. you don't know. then in the case of a recount, if you have a close election, there's no way that they can count ballots with these things. all they can do is count the numbers. >> larry: did you know it when you pulled the lever? >> no, because in minnesota we don't have that. >> larry: what do you do in minnesota? >> 17 states have these machines. they need to get rid of them, and states that don't have them don't get them. in minnesota you still have to mark a ballot, and it goes into the machine then, and so that if it's a he close election, like we had between senator franken and senator coleman, well, then, they can pull them all out and hand-count them. with these new voting machines, you can't do that. >> larry: more with jesse ahead.
9:30 pm
should marijuana be bought and sold in the united states like liquor. the book "american conspiracies," don't go away. [ female announcer ] it's lobsterfest. the one time of year red lobster creates so many irresistible ways to treat yourself to lobster. like our new wood-grilled lobster and shrimp with parmesan scampi... our succulent lobster lover's dream, with both sweet maine and buttery rock lobster tails... and eleven more choices, each served with a salad and our freshly-baked cheddar bay biscuits. come celebrate lobsterfest.
9:31 pm
right now at red lobster. a guy named his own price, wants a room tonight for 65 dollars. we don't go lower than 130. big deal, persuade him. okay. $65 for tonight. you can't argue with a big deal. we're so sure priceline has the biggest hotel deals we're announcing the big deal guarantee, book a hotel with name your own price and if you can find a lower published price anywhere else we'll match it and pay you $25 dollars. book now, big deal days won't last long at priceline.
9:32 pm
9:33 pm
>> larry: we're back about jesse ventura. in a recent blog on the huffing ton post you accuse the obama administration of staggering hip pock see in continues george w. bush's so-called drug war policies. what do you mean? the government is dealing drugs. what do you mean? >> well, it's a well-known fact that iran contra they were running drugs to support the contras down there in nicaragua and all that stuff. the cia has been doing it for years, larry. if they can get their own source of money, then they can do things without telling congress about it. >> larry: how do you know they're doing it? how do you know that? >> look in my book, and you'll see the facts and read about how it led to ollie north's desk, you know. >> larry: we know about iran contra. you're talking about now. you're talking about the -- you're accusing the obama administration of hypocrisy in
9:34 pm
what regard? >> in the fact that we -- the war on drugs is a failure. a complete failure. you're not going to win the war on drugs by putting people in prison because they use drugs. let me put it to you this way, larry. i grew up in the '60s in the days of jimi hendrix and the rolling stones and the beatles to all of that. marijuana was to rock 'n roll what beer is to baseball. imagine approximate if they took away beer at a ball game, what the outrage it would. people that spoke pot, they're breaking the law and can't do it. i've done both, and i've behaved far worse on alcohol than i ever have from marijuana. >> larry: you would legalize marijuana? >> i would legalize. i hope the state of california -- it's on their initiative. 800,000 people have signed to
9:35 pm
put it on the ballot for total legalization. california can lead the way and legalize marijuana. they say it will bring $1 billion into the california economy. don't you think our economy needs that now instead of spending money to stop marijuana? let's spend money and tax it and get money from it. >> larry: this book deals with the assassination of jfk, watergate burglars purposely bungling the break-in, electronic voting machines helping the republican party, whether or not two boeing 757s could have brought down the twin towers, the government's 2008 claim that huge corporations are too big to fail, erosion of civil liberties. you said earlier you didn't believe all these theories, but they print them out -- do you question them? >> i he don't necessarily not believe them, but on certain ones i'm not fully convinced. i still lay out all the facts,
9:36 pm
and each chapter is very compelling. i'll put it to you this way, larry. doing a book like this, it's like throwing a huge jigsaw puzzle on the floor. you have to start by picking a few pieces up. pretty soon you assemble this data, put it together, and a picture starts to develop. now, will we get the complete, whole picture? no. but you can put together enough pieces where you can tell what it's supposed to be. >> larry: there was a conspiracy in the lincoln killing. others went to jail. some were hanged. so it wasn't just john wilkes booth. that was a conspiracy. >> right. the problem is our children are not being the taught that and neither was i, larry. i didn't learn about what happened to lincoln until i he did this book. my nephew is 15 years old, and i talked to him about it. i said, have you learned about the assassination of president lincoln and he perked up and
9:37 pm
said we had that two weeks ago in school. tell me what you know about it. he related that john wilkes booth went to the ford theater, shot lincoln in the back of the head, yelled something, dropped down, ran off. they hurt his leg and chased him and caught him in the farmhouse and killed him. we're not teaching our kids there were eight other people involved in the massive conspiracy and they were going to attempt to kill vice president johnson, secretary of state seward, as well as general grant. they failed on those three, but they were successful with lincoln. yet, our history books don't tell that to our kids. they only learn about john wilkes booth. isn't it interesting, larry, that every assassin, you learn all three names, john wilkes booth, lee harvey oswald, mark david chapman. >> larry: what's that mean? >> what's charles manson's middle name? >> larry: who cares? >> he's the most notorious
9:38 pm
killer in america. we don't know his middle name, but all these sole lone nut assassins given three names. >> larry: because? >> it's a psychological preparation to get accustomed that only one person does the dirty work. >> larry: jesse ventura, that's interesting. we'll be right back with more. the book is "american conspiracies." don't go away. approximate thanks for coming. it was really nice to meet you, a.j. yeah, you too.
9:39 pm
a.j.? (alarm blasting) (screaming) (phone rings) hello? this is bill with broadview security. is everything okay? no. there's this guy - he just smashed in my door. i'm seúling help right now. thank you. (announcer) brink's home security is now broadview security. call now to install the standard system for just $99. the proven technology of a broadview security system delivers rapid response from highly-trained professionals, 24 hours a day. call now to get the $99 installation, plus a second keypad installed free. and, you could save up to 20% on your homeowner's insurance. call now-- and get the system installed for just $99. broadview security for your home or business-- the next generation of brink's home security. call now.
9:40 pm
9:41 pm
>> larry: we're back. let's take a couple calls for jesse ventura. the book "american conspiracies." sacramento, california. hello. >> caller: hey larry and jesse. it's an honor to speak with both of you. i felt very compelled to call, because i agree with everything jesse said. it must be because we're from the same generation. i feel the same way about our political party. >> larry: what's the question? >> caller: he gave the comment about the don't ask and don't tell. there's another thing, mental illness within the army and within our country. i come from a family where we're
9:42 pm
bipolar, i have two siblings that are. >> larry: what's the question? >> caller: ha dowhat does he th about the fact that people like that are ashamed to get help? >> larry: are what to get help? >> caller: they don't want to tell, so they don't get help. >> larry: i don't understand the question? >> they don't want to say they're gay and they want help for being gay? >> larry: they're bipolar. >> i don't know why they wouldn't get help. help is available out there in the military. there's help vabld to people and they should seek it out. >> larry: richmond, virginia. hello. >> caller: just wanted to say thanks for jesse being a great american and voicing his opinion on a lot of things. my question is, i'm a veteran, and we were over in iraq helping build their country. when we had storms and stuff, we couldn't, you know, help our own
9:43 pm
people. houd should bush be held accountable for a lot of things they messed up? >> you can't hold him accountable for it, because he's out of office now. unless he absolutely broke the law on something and violated a law to indict him, and they don't do that to former presidents, you know. when a president leaves office, they kind of leave everything behind and nothing -- they're not responsible for anything they did from the point they leave office. there's really no way that he's going to be held accountable for anything he did. >> larry: what do you make of former illinois governor rod blagojevich? he's going to be a contestant on "celebrity apprentice." >> that's because i turned it down, i guess. they wanted me on there, and i wouldn't do it. maybe they got him. i don't know. every time i travel to o'hare and the people of illinois see me, they always always say, hey, we need a governor. i said i don't want to be your
9:44 pm
governor. when i was in, it was -- who was the governor? he went to jail right before the current one. now this one looks like he's going to jail. >> larry: ryan. >> governor ryan. thank you. he was governor when i was governor, and he had to do jail time. i don't think i'd like to be governor of illinois. you seem to end up in prison. >> larry: what are your thoughts on linda mcmain, the wife of the world wrestling sper takenment founder? she's going to run for the u.s. senate in connecticut. what do you make of that? >> i woenlt support her because she's running as a republican, and i don't support republicans or democrats, but i wish she'd run as an independent because then i would. anyone should run for office, absolutely. if you feel inclined to serve your country or to serve your community or your state, absolutely run for office. you know what they need to do, larry? they need to ban lawyers. i mean, every guy we elect is a lawyer. think of it like this, larry. is that not a the conflict of
9:45 pm
interest, that they create the laws that they will then work under? >> larry: legislators are lawyers because they know the language of law, they understand law. it would be logical for lawyers to be legislators, they go hand in hand, don't they? >> no, no, no, no. you don't neat lawyers making laws. regular citizens can make laws. we have enough elected lawyers in this country. everybody that gets elected is a lawyer. i'm tired of lawyers running the country. look at the shape we're in. >> larry: jesse, i'm never tired of you. continued good luck with the book, always great having you with us. >> larry, my pleasure. i love doing your show. i'll be in l.a. next week. i'll stop by and say hello. >> larry: the book is "american conspiracies." never dull. what do you do when someone cuts off in the middle of your oscar
9:46 pm
acceptance speech? come to this show to finish. the filmmaker that got kanyed is next. ight. allergies. i was just diagnosed with a deviated septum. here's how it works... [ female announcer ] nasal congestion limits air flow but breathe right's patented reflex action gently lifts open nasal passages to help you get more air. oh, yeah. yeah, you're right. i'm getting more air. oh, wow! that's pretty nice. [ woman ] if your nose could talk right now, what do you think it would say? i think it's saying, "i'm open for business!" [ female announcer ] for 2 free samples, go to breatheright.com and strip for free.
9:47 pm
9:48 pm
>> larry: he's here with us here in l.a.
9:49 pm
anderson cooper, the host of "ac 360." what's up tonight? >> larry, tonight on "360" drive-by shooting witnessed by many and no one came forward. we return to hollenbeck tonight. we were there five years for a documentary about gangs. we saw the bloody code of ethics and talked to people that wanted to get out. tonight the first in a series of reports about what it's like now there and how killers are on the streets. hundreds of millions the dollars poured into haiti after the quake. as the rain starts to pound the country, why do thousands of survivors not have tents? how is that possible? we couldn't let the night go by without a look at the oscars. we'll talk about the winners and train wrecks but mostly about the train at the top of the hour. >> larry: speaking of train wrecks, by the way, it's 10:00 eastern, 7:00 pacific with anderson cooper. roger ross williams, former producer for cnn, went on to
9:50 pm
greatness and won the 2010 oscar for best documentary short subject called "music by prudence." his co-producer interrupted his acceptance speech and made her own comments. here is what happened last night. then we'll meet mr. williams. watch. >> oh my gosh. this is amazing. two years ago when i got on an airplane and went to zimbabwe i never imagined in my wildest dreams i'd end up here. >> let the woman talk? >> so exciting. >> the classic. in a world in which most of us are told, and tell ourselves, that we can't, we honor the band behind this film, teaches us that we're wrong. against all odds they did so we can. so the bottom line is, to me, my
9:51 pm
role models and my heroes, marvelo marvelous and energy, goodwill, the whole rest of the band and especially prudence. >> and prudence, who is here, who is back there tonight. prudence is here tonight. this is for prudence. >> larry: why was she -- what was -- are you in dispute with her? >> you know, there's always in the creative process, you know, you always get in disputes and creativity -- >> larry: so you're not friends anymore in. >> i wouldn't say we're friends. >> larry: she was your co-producer? >> she produced the film. she hand been involved in the film since about may of last year. >> larry: what was your involvement if she produced it? >> i directed and produced lx were you shocked she shoved you out of the way? >> a little shocking. it was a little shocking. you know, i was there to talk about prudence. we were there to honor prudence
9:52 pm
and her incredible message and her incredible story. >> larry: the woman who cut into your speech claims your mother used her cane and tried to block the path to the stage. true? >> that's ridiculous. my mother got up to hug me. my mother is 87 years old and has bad knees and she just got excited. like any mother would. >> larry: you have your oscar with you. has it diminished your evening? >> it has not diminished my e n evening. i had a great night last night. i'm exhausted because i was out until 6:00. >> larry: we want to give roger the chance to give the oscar speech he wasn't able to deliver last night without interruption. so the 2010 academy award for best documentary short subject goes to music by prudence. accepting the oscar, director/producer, roger ross williams. >> oh my god, oh my god, i can't
9:53 pm
believe i'm standing here. when i got on the plane two years ago and went to zimbabwe i never in my wildest dreams thought i'd end up on the stage of the kodak theater. i want to thank the academy. i want to thank sheila nevins for giving a platform to short documentary films. i want to thank my supervising producer at hbo, sarah bernstein, my incredible crew, derek, patrick wright, my -- geta, my editor. i'd like to thank my advisers, kim and perry, micah, and my partner, casper. i also want to thank leslie who brought prudence from zimbabwe. prudence is here tonight. now, my mother is also here. she got on a plane for the first time in her life to be here.
9:54 pm
prudence, you were born in a country that despise the disabled. you had nothing. nothing but your spirit, your intelligence, and your talent. and with your band, leana, you touched us all. >> larry: oh. come on back. we only have 30 -- >> i wasn't cutting you off, kanye. sit down. did you have anything left? >> i was going to say that the name leana means it's raining and in zimbabwe rain is a gift from god and prudence, we don't always recognize our gifts, but i'm so happy to be recognizing prudence. >> larry: we're happy to congratulate you. you got a chance to give it. >> thank you so much for giving me the chance, larry. >> larry: elton john gave us
9:55 pm
unprecedented -- there's applause for you. unprecedented access to his oscar night fund-raiser for aids. you're going to go to that event, next. ♪ [ woman ] when i grow up, i want to take him on his first flight. i want to run a marathon. i'm going to work with kids. i'm going to own my own restaurant. when i grow up, i'm going to start a band. [ female announcer ] at aarp we believe you're never done growing. thanks, mom. i just want to get my car back. [ female announcer ] together we can discover the best of what's next at aarp.org. youtube didn't exist. and facebook was still run out of a dorm room. when we built our first hybrid, more people had landlines than cell phones, and gas was $1.75 a gallon.
9:56 pm
and now, while other luxury carmakers are building their first hybrids, lexus hybrids have traveled 5.5 billion miles. and that's quite a head start. ♪ ♪ who's born to care this life was protected... ♪ seems you've always been right there ♪ this life was saved... ♪ soothing sadness ♪ healing pain and this life was made easier... ♪ making smiles appear again because of this life. nursing. at johnson & johnson, we salute all those who choose the life... that makes a difference. ♪ you're a nurse ♪ you make a difference
9:57 pm
>> larry: elton john's annual oscar night party is one of the hottest tickets in town, big as the awards. last night was his 18th annual aids foundation event. with the help of the celebrity guests who attended. "larry king live" had special
9:58 pm
backstage access. take a look at what and who we found. >> even people who have been everywhere and seen everything don't want to miss this. >> it's a party atmosphere. ♪ i remember when rock was young ♪ >> it's an exciting night. i wanted to be very serious. no rhinestones. >> come rain or shine, he always does it. >> great food, great broadcast, great screens, great entertainment. >> you can't believe you paid to come because it's so much fun. >> to be here is wow, check this out. >> i'm floored. >> it's hard to say no to elton john. >> even though we're having a great time the underlying thing is because we're raising this money for people not having a great time. >> elton's tireless crusade to spread awareness about aids and find a cure, in itself, is unbelievable. >> elton john has raised over $175 million through holding this event over the years. >> the energy is so positive and
9:59 pm
generous and open. >> and he's made such a difference. >> it's just great footprints to walk in. >> we know how hard he works for his charity. >> i think it's more important than it ever was. >> it's about reciprocity. >> a lot more artists and entertainers should do this as well. >> come here, leave having had an amazing time and having emptied wallets for his aids foundation. >> not just a fantastically fabulous oscar viewing party but also for a good cause. >> it's a great hybrid of everything. >> hi,

131 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on